Quantcast

Document ordering in MDI application

Tim Burgess-5

Hi,

Can anybody offer me a starting point for understanding the ordering of documents in an MDI interface, please? What determines the ordering of the documents as you rotate through them using Ctrl+Tab or Shift+Ctrl+Tab?

I’m having to modify some non-WX legacy code to use WX and, though not needing to implement a full Z-order for all windows, I want to be able to keep track of how documents are stacked on top of each other.

Any and all information gratefully received.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

Re: Document ordering in MDI application

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 11:01:46 +0100 Tim Burgess wrote:

TB> Can anybody offer me a starting point for understanding the ordering of
TB> documents in an MDI interface, please? What determines the ordering of the
TB> documents as you rotate through them using Ctrl+Tab or Shift+Ctrl+Tab?

 Initially just the order of creation, AFAIK, but it can be changed in any
way later.

TB> I'm having to modify some non-WX legacy code to use WX and, though not
TB> needing to implement a full Z-order for all windows, I want to be able to
TB> keep track of how documents are stacked on top of each other.

 What exactly do you need this for? Normally the Z-order if under user
control, i.e. it depends on how user clicks on/minimizes/restores the
windows. You may call Raise() and Lower() to change it programmatically too
but I can't really think of any situation in which it would be useful with
MDI children right now.

RE: Document ordering in MDI application

Tim Burgess-5
Hi,

Thanks for this. The particular issue I'm trying to deal with is the case
where there are several documents open and the user chooses to quit the
application - I'd like the "save as" dialogs to be presented in the order
that they are stacked, but this doesn't always seem to be the case, so I was
looking for any existing structure I might exploit to write a fix.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess