Focus delay when opening document on Mac OS Mojave

Focus delay when opening document on Mac OS Mojave

Jeff Davidson
Hi,

Since updating my Mac to Mojave, I've noticed a strange focus issue in my wxWidgets app. If I run the app directly without any file to open, or if I pass a standard command line argument with a document to open, it shows up instantly. But when I double click a file or use the "open" command with a document, the window takes ~5 seconds to appear. If I cause a dialog to pop up, then the main window appears instantly underneath it. Video here of these three scenarios: https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg

The implementation of MacOpenFile is basically the same as how it opens files from command line arguments.

I'm not sure how to go about debugging this, as everything worked fine prior to the Mojave update. I tried both wxWidgets 3.1.0 as well as the latest master tree from a few hours ago. Are there any thoughts on what might be happening, or what I should be investigating to try and track this down?

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Focus delay when opening document on Mac OS Mojave

oneeyeman
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM Jeff Davidson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since updating my Mac to Mojave, I've noticed a strange focus issue in my wxWidgets app. If I run the app directly without any file to open, or if I pass a standard command line argument with a document to open, it shows up instantly. But when I double click a file or use the "open" command with a document, the window takes ~5 seconds to appear. If I cause a dialog to pop up, then the main window appears instantly underneath it. Video here of these three scenarios: https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg
>
> The implementation of MacOpenFile is basically the same as how it opens files from command line arguments.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about debugging this, as everything worked fine prior to the Mojave update. I tried both wxWidgets 3.1.0 as well as the latest master tree from a few hours ago. Are there any thoughts on what might be happening, or what I should be investigating to try and track this down?

Do you see the same happening with the docview sample?

Thank you.

> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> --
> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Re: Focus delay when opening document on Mac OS Mojave

Jeff Davidson
Hi,

On Saturday, October 13, 2018 at 6:54:52 PM UTC-7, Igor Korot wrote:
Hi,

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM Jeff Davidson <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="bLgfyR29BQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">super...@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Since updating my Mac to Mojave, I've noticed a strange focus issue in my wxWidgets app. If I run the app directly without any file to open, or if I pass a standard command line argument with a document to open, it shows up instantly. But when I double click a file or use the "open" command with a document, the window takes ~5 seconds to appear. If I cause a dialog to pop up, then the main window appears instantly underneath it. Video here of these three scenarios: <a href="https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg&#39;;return true;">https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg
>
> The implementation of MacOpenFile is basically the same as how it opens files from command line arguments.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about debugging this, as everything worked fine prior to the Mojave update. I tried both wxWidgets 3.1.0 as well as the latest master tree from a few hours ago. Are there any thoughts on what might be happening, or what I should be investigating to try and track this down?

Do you see the same happening with the docview sample?

Not with the docview sample, but with the MDI one, yes. Run "open -a mdi.app mdi.h" (where the last argument is any file) and the app takes ~5 seconds to show up. Just run "open -a mdi.app" and it shows up instantly. Run "open -a mdi.app mdi.h" and immediately go to mdi -> About and close it and the window will show up as soon as the about dialog is closed.

Should I file a bug, then?

Thank you.

> Thanks,
> Jeff
>
> --
> Please read <a href="http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wxwidgets.org%2Fsupport%2Fmlhowto.htm\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGeLI38cNrlq2cC-jNsMzVrvhdIVA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wxwidgets.org%2Fsupport%2Fmlhowto.htm\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGeLI38cNrlq2cC-jNsMzVrvhdIVA&#39;;return true;">http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

> or visit <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users

Re: Focus delay when opening document on Mac OS Mojave

Stefan Csomor

Hi

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 6:54 PM Jeff Davidson <

> Hi,
>
> Since updating my Mac to Mojave, I've noticed a strange focus issue in my wxWidgets app.
If I run the app directly without any file to open, or if I pass a standard command line argument with a document to open, it shows up instantly. But when I double click a file or use the "open" command with a document, the window takes ~5 seconds to appear. If I cause a dialog to pop up, then the main window appears instantly underneath it. Video here of these three scenarios: https://youtu.be/6Wh9ZNDmJqg

> The implementation of MacOpenFile is basically the same as how it opens files from command line arguments.
>
> I'm not sure how to go about debugging this, as everything worked fine prior to the Mojave update. I tried both wxWidgets 3.1.0 as well as the latest master tree from a few hours ago. Are there any thoughts on what might be happening, or what I should be investigating to try and track this down?

Do you see the same happening with the docview sample?

Not with the docview sample, but with the MDI one, yes. Run "open -a mdi.app mdi.h" (where the last argument is any file) and the app takes ~5 seconds to show up. Just run "open -a mdi.app" and it shows up instantly. Run "open -a mdi.app mdi.h" and immediately go to mdi -> About and close it and the window will show up as soon as the about dialog is closed.

Should I file a bug, then?

One important platform detail of the docview sample is the presence of the CFBundleDocumentTypes in the Info.plist, this indicates which types of documents this app is able to open, I don’t know whether you have one in your project, if not, perhaps providing it can help ...

Best,

Stefan