Quantcast

Mozilla gecko integration plan or discussion.

Mozilla gecko integration plan or discussion.

Giraudon Cyril
Hi,

I'd like to know whether there is any plan or discussion to integrate
(provide a wrapper) mozilla gecko into wxwidgets ?

Tthanks a lot,

Cyril

Re: Mozilla gecko integration plan or discussion.

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:55:25 +0200 cyril giraudon <[hidden email]> wrote:

cg> I'd like to know whether there is any plan or discussion to integrate
cg> (provide a wrapper) mozilla gecko into wxwidgets ?

 I'm not aware of any ongoing projects to do it. It looks like wxWebKit is
a much more promising project these days.

Vadim Zeitlin a écrit :
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 13:55:25 +0200 cyril giraudon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> cg> I'd like to know whether there is any plan or discussion to integrate
> cg> (provide a wrapper) mozilla gecko into wxwidgets ?
>
>  I'm not aware of any ongoing projects to do it. It looks like wxWebKit is
> a much more promising project these days.

Thanks Vadim.
I prefer gecko for its native MathML and SVG redering capabilities :-(
Scientific document rendering is so easy and beautiful...

Cyril.

>  Regards,
> VZ

Re[2]: Mozilla gecko integration plan or discussion.

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:19:15 +0200 cyril giraudon <[hidden email]> wrote:

cg> I prefer gecko for its native MathML and SVG redering capabilities :-(
cg> Scientific document rendering is so easy and beautiful...

 You should be able to use SVG with WebKit too via a plugin but I don't
know about MathML support in it.

 Anyhow, the fact that work is going on wxWebKit doesn't mean that wxGecko
wouldn't be nice to have...

Re: Re[2]: Mozilla gecko integration plan or discussion.

Vaclav Slavik
On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:18 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>  You should be able to use SVG with WebKit too via a plugin

Natively, actually. Whether it works in wx port is another question.

>  but I don't know about MathML support in it.

It doesn't seem to be actively (or at all) developed:
http://webkit.org/projects/mathml/index.html

> Anyhow, the fact that work is going on wxWebKit doesn't mean that
> wxGecko wouldn't be nice to have...

wxMozilla isn't *that* broken. It's just fine with older Gecko versions
and even though Mozilla folks try hard to break apps with every release,
it still shouldn't be that difficult to get it working with XULRunner
1.9.

Regards,
Vaclav

Re: Re[2]: Mozilla gecko integration plan or discussion.

Kevin Ollivier-5
Hi Vaclav,

On Jul 28, 2008, at 5:25 AM, Vaclav Slavik wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 14:18 +0200, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
>> You should be able to use SVG with WebKit too via a plugin
>
> Natively, actually. Whether it works in wx port is another question.

Not yet, we'd need some additional graphics context methods to be
implemented.

>> but I don't know about MathML support in it.
>
> It doesn't seem to be actively (or at all) developed:
> http://webkit.org/projects/mathml/index.html
>
>> Anyhow, the fact that work is going on wxWebKit doesn't mean that
>> wxGecko wouldn't be nice to have...
>
> wxMozilla isn't *that* broken. It's just fine with older Gecko
> versions
> and even though Mozilla folks try hard to break apps with every
> release,
> it still shouldn't be that difficult to get it working with XULRunner
> 1.9.

Depends on the platform. On Mac, wxMozilla does not and will not work
at all because it wants to draw all over the wxFrame, not just inside
its control. Of course, I've heard they're moving to Cocoa code for
their port, which means we'll just need to finish wxCocoa for it to
work... :( On Windows, it just doesn't seem there is anyone who is
interested in sorting out all the compatibility issues on Windows and/
or making updated Mozilla binaries we can use available. People on our
end will jump in and do one build and maybe post it, but then they
disappear and no one steps in to update those binaries. Of course,
there is the option to use really old versions, but from a security
perspective that makes me nervous. Forcing us to build our own Mozilla
basically because they refuse to "freeze" the core embedding
interfaces is just about brain-dead if you ask me. :(

IMHO wxMozilla is useful mostly as a Linux alternative to wxIEHtmlWin
and wxWebKitCtrl - that's the one place where it works and is
relatively sane to maintain, most likely thanks to a lot of hard work
being done for us by the distro maintainers to give us "real" dev
packages with what we need in them, and I suspect to some extent
working around some of the compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Kevin