Quantcast

Next release soon?

Frédéric Bron
Hi,

3.1.0 is now 1 year old. Are there any changes made after 3.1.0 that
would be useful to anybody? If so, is it possible to issue a new
version?

Cheers,

Frédéric

Re: Next release soon?

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 07:41:33 +0100 Frédéric Bron wrote:

FB> 3.1.0 is now 1 year old. Are there any changes made after 3.1.0 that
FB> would be useful to anybody? If so, is it possible to issue a new
FB> version?

 Of course there have been many useful changes (if 1181 commits done since
3.1.0 were all useless, this would be pretty sad), but you can already get
all of them by using the version from Github right now. We do plan to make
3.1.1, of course, and even 3.2.0 eventually, but this is mostly important
for the new users or people who can't use git for some reason.

Re: Next release soon?

Gerald Brandt

On 2017-03-19 06:23 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 07:41:33 +0100 Frédéric Bron wrote:
>
> FB> 3.1.0 is now 1 year old. Are there any changes made after 3.1.0 that
> FB> would be useful to anybody? If so, is it possible to issue a new
> FB> version?
>
>   Of course there have been many useful changes (if 1181 commits done since
> 3.1.0 were all useless, this would be pretty sad), but you can already get
> all of them by using the version from Github right now. We do plan to make
> 3.1.1, of course, and even 3.2.0 eventually, but this is mostly important
> for the new users or people who can't use git for some reason.
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

To be fair, it's also useful to distros to have point releases.

Gerald

Re: Next release soon?

Frédéric Bron
>  Of course there have been many useful changes (if 1181 commits done since
> 3.1.0 were all useless, this would be pretty sad), but you can already get
> all of them by using the version from Github right now. We do plan to make
> 3.1.1, of course, and even 3.2.0 eventually, but this is mostly important
> for the new users or people who can't use git for some reason.

Do you mean that we can consider git master as stable?

Frédéric

Re[2]: Next release soon?

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:10:05 -0500 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> On 2017-03-19 06:23 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GB> > On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 07:41:33 +0100 Frédéric Bron wrote:
GB> >
GB> > FB> 3.1.0 is now 1 year old. Are there any changes made after 3.1.0 that
GB> > FB> would be useful to anybody? If so, is it possible to issue a new
GB> > FB> version?
GB> >
GB> >   Of course there have been many useful changes (if 1181 commits done since
GB> > 3.1.0 were all useless, this would be pretty sad), but you can already get
GB> > all of them by using the version from Github right now. We do plan to make
GB> > 3.1.1, of course, and even 3.2.0 eventually, but this is mostly important
GB> > for the new users or people who can't use git for some reason.
GB> >
GB> To be fair, it's also useful to distros to have point releases.

 Yes, this is another important reason for making 3.2.0 soon (I don't know
if any distributions package 3.1.x), sorry for omitting it and thanks for
the reminder.

Re[2]: Next release soon?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:56:06 +0100 Frédéric Bron wrote:

FB> >  Of course there have been many useful changes (if 1181 commits done since
FB> > 3.1.0 were all useless, this would be pretty sad), but you can already get
FB> > all of them by using the version from Github right now. We do plan to make
FB> > 3.1.1, of course, and even 3.2.0 eventually, but this is mostly important
FB> > for the new users or people who can't use git for some reason.
FB>
FB> Do you mean that we can consider git master as stable?

 Yes, git master is supposed to be "stable" in the sense of "working
correctly" (but not necessarily "having frozen API") at any time. Of
course, it does get broken sometimes in spite of our best efforts, but this
happens pretty rarely and gets fixed quickly.

Re: Next release soon?

Gerald Brandt

On 2017-03-20 05:56 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote:
>>   Of course there have been many useful changes (if 1181 commits done since
>> 3.1.0 were all useless, this would be pretty sad), but you can already get
>> all of them by using the version from Github right now. We do plan to make
>> 3.1.1, of course, and even 3.2.0 eventually, but this is mostly important
>> for the new users or people who can't use git for some reason.
> Do you mean that we can consider git master as stable?
>
> Frédéric

I use git master (and previously svn trunk) for all my work. I can't
think of a time I've ever been bitten by anything serious, and it has
been many years.

Gerald

Re: Re[2]: Next release soon?

wxWidgets - Users mailing list-2
Hello,

On Monday, 20 March 2017, 14:23, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

On Sun, 19 Mar 2017 22:10:05 -0500 Gerald Brandt wrote:
GB> To be fair, it's also useful to distros to have point releases.

> Yes, this is another important reason for making 3.2.0 soon (I don't know
> if any distributions package 3.1.x)

A release does assume some shared library builds and some other "infrastructure" work. Would it be a good idea to have all these done only for some releases in a pre-defined scheme? i.e. 3.2.0 will have all these done, but 3.2.1 will only be a simple tag (and maybe a few other quick reviews after that too)
I can imagine a few advantages of doing that:
- building packages with the same version for different scopes (otherwise building a package from today's master would be different than the one from yesterday's master found on another system, while waiting for years for a new release is not appealing either);
- frequent releases send a positive message to people less familiar with the actual state of wxW;
- wxW release news reach phoronix and slashdot and for sure others too; that is a nice way of making wxW better known.

Re[4]: Next release soon?

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:57:41 +0000 (UTC) Catalin wrote:

C> A release does assume some shared library builds and some other "infrastructure" work. Would it be a good idea to have all these done only for some releases in a pre-defined scheme? i.e. 3.2.0 will have all these done, but 3.2.1 will only be a simple tag (and maybe a few other quick reviews after that too)
C> I can imagine a few advantages of doing that:
C> - building packages with the same version for different scopes (otherwise building a package from today's master would be different than the one from yesterday's master found on another system, while waiting for years for a new release is not appealing either);
C> - frequent releases send a positive message to people less familiar with the actual state of wxW;
C> - wxW release news reach phoronix and slashdot and for sure others too; that is a nice way of making wxW better known.

 Yes, it would certainly be nice to release more often but it requires some
effort because our release process is not fully automated, see the
instructions in docs/contributing/how-to-release.md

 Still, it's not that difficult to do it manually neither, and we really
should be doing releases at least every 6 months. Unfortunately it's not
the first time that I promise myself to do this and so far this hasn't
worked really well. But I do plan to make 3.1.1 sometimes soon, really.

Re: Next release soon?

Kenneth Porter
--On Monday, March 20, 2017 8:38 AM -0500 Gerald Brandt <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I use git master (and previously svn trunk) for all my work. I can't
> think of a time I've ever been bitten by anything serious, and it has
> been many years.

When one has multiple developers or development machines, it's a good idea
to tag and build on one machine and distribute to others within the
organization, to keep the commit one builds from consistent.

---