Quantcast

No 'lib/fonts' directory in wxpdfdocument

No 'lib/fonts' directory in wxpdfdocument

Frédéric Bron
Hi,

I am trying to use wxpdfdocument.
I installed it in static mode.
tutorial1.cpp fails because I do not have a 'lib/fonts' directory.
How can I get it built?
Note: the lib/fonts directory is missing whatever the compiler I use
(native linux g++, minw-w64 or osxcross)

Frédéric

Re: No 'lib/fonts' directory in wxpdfdocument

Ulrich Telle
Hi Frédéric,

> I am trying to use wxpdfdocument.
> I installed it in static mode.
> tutorial1.cpp fails because I do not have a 'lib/fonts' directory.
> How can I get it built?
> Note: the lib/fonts directory is missing whatever the compiler I use
> (native linux g++, minw-w64 or osxcross)

The directory "lib/fonts" is part of the wxPdfDocument distribution.

The minimal sample application allows to specify command line parameters
on invocation to set the sample directory and/or the font directory.

For setting the font directory, you can also use the environment
variable WXPDF_FONTPATH.

Regards,

Ulrich

Re: No 'lib/fonts' directory in wxpdfdocument

Frédéric Bron
> The directory "lib/fonts" is part of the wxPdfDocument distribution.

OK, I see, it is not in the install directory.

> The minimal sample application allows to specify command line parameters on
> invocation to set the sample directory and/or the font directory.
>
> For setting the font directory, you can also use the environment variable
> WXPDF_FONTPATH.

Does this mean that I need to ship the lib/fonts directory with my application?
I assume it is platform independant?

Frédéric

Re: No 'lib/fonts' directory in wxpdfdocument

Ulrich Telle
Hi Frédéric,

>> The directory "lib/fonts" is part of the wxPdfDocument distribution.
>
> OK, I see, it is not in the install directory.

Well, that's true. And maybe it should be considered to add it to the
install directory. OTOH, not all applications need it. And many of the
font files contained in that directory are only used by the minimal sample.

>> The minimal sample application allows to specify command line parameters on
>> invocation to set the sample directory and/or the font directory.
>>
>> For setting the font directory, you can also use the environment variable
>> WXPDF_FONTPATH.
>
> Does this mean that I need to ship the lib/fonts directory with my application?

That really depends on the needs of your application. If you intend to
use built-in CJK fonts for Adobe Reader, then the application needs some
of the XML files (namely big5, big5-hw, gb, gb-hw, sjis, sjis-hw, uhc,
uhc-hw). If you intend to use Indic scripts (as currently supported by
wxPdfDocument) then the application needs access to the raghu* font
files located in lib/fonts.

Regarding CJK using the built-in fonts has the advantage that the
resulting PDF files are rather small, but they can be only displayed on
computers that have the CJK fonts installed. Therefore I would always
recommend to use TrueType or OpenType fonts (like WenQuanYi (Spring of
Letters) https://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy/ for Chinese, or M+ fonts
http://mplus-fonts.osdn.jp/ for Japanese).

Support for Indic scripts is currently rather limited. There are plans
to use HarfBuzz to support such scripts in the future, but no schedule
is set up yet.

> I assume it is platform independant?

In principle, yes. However, the Japanese font files (specified via XML
files: gothic - MS-Gothic, pgothic - MS-PGothic, uigothic - MS-UIGothic,
mincho - MS-Mincho, pmincho - MS-PMincho) are usually only available on
Windows platforms.

In fact, if your application requires the use of specific fonts, the
recommendation is to distribute all required font files together with
the application.

Regards,

Ulrich