OnChar only getting 'special' keys

Gerald Brandt
Hi,

I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.

Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
before? What could stop EVT_CHAR from working with regular key presses?

Gerald

Re: OnChar only getting 'special' keys

oneeyeman
Hi,

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:27 PM Gerald Brandt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
> panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.
>
> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
> before? What could stop EVT_CHAR from working with regular key presses?

Who has the focus at that time?

Thank you.

On 2018-12-05 7:26 a.m., Igor Korot wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 4:27 PM Gerald Brandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
>> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
>> panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.
>>
>> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
>> before? What could stop EVT_CHAR from working with regular key presses?
> Who has the focus at that time?
>
> Thank you.

The panel has focus. I should have mentioned this is under Windows. The
GTK2 and GTK3 version s work just fine.

On 2018-12-05 4:27 p.m., Gerald Brandt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
> panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.
>
> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
> before? What could stop EVT_CHAR from working with regular key presses?
>

> Gerald

Interestingly, I get EVT_KEY_DOWN events, I just lose my EVT_CHAR events
(But not all, cursor keys, functions, etc work. Just regular typing fails).

On 2018-12-06 12:29 p.m., Gerald Brandt wrote:

> On 2018-12-05 4:27 p.m., Gerald Brandt wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
>> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview,
>> the panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.
>>
>> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
>> before? What could stop EVT_CHAR from working with regular key presses?
>>

>> Gerald
>>

> Interestingly, I get EVT_KEY_DOWN events, I just lose my EVT_CHAR
> events (But not all, cursor keys, functions, etc work. Just regular
> typing fails).
>

> Gerald

I should mention this is WIndows only, using trunk. Linux works great.

On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:27:42 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
GB> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
GB> panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.

 I can't explain this. If you get any key events at all, as you indicated
in a subsequent post, this means that your panel does have focus, but if it
has focus and received wxEVT_CHAR events before, it should continue to
receive them.

GB> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
GB> before?

 No. To debug this, put a breakpoint on the code handling WM_CHAR in
src/msw/window.cpp and check what happens there. I suspect that you don't
get these messages from Windows in the first place, as it's really the only
explanation for what you're describing, but this doesn't really explain
anything in any case... Can you reproduce this in (or with minimal changes
to) the printing sample?

On 2018-12-06 12:44 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:27:42 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> GB> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
> GB> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
> GB> panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.
>
>   I can't explain this. If you get any key events at all, as you indicated
> in a subsequent post, this means that your panel does have focus, but if it
> has focus and received wxEVT_CHAR events before, it should continue to
> receive them.
>
> GB> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
> GB> before?
>
>   No. To debug this, put a breakpoint on the code handling WM_CHAR in
> src/msw/window.cpp and check what happens there. I suspect that you don't
> get these messages from Windows in the first place, as it's really the only
> explanation for what you're describing, but this doesn't really explain
> anything in any case... Can you reproduce this in (or with minimal changes
> to) the printing sample?
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

I'll set the break point and see what I get. I have a modified sample
I'm working on now, but haven't run it yet.

On 2018-12-06 12:44 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018 16:27:42 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> GB> I have a panel that accepts key presses (EVT_CHAR). Everything works
> GB> great until I do a print preview. After closing the Print Preview, the
> GB> panel only accepts special keys like arrow or page up/down.
>
>   I can't explain this. If you get any key events at all, as you indicated
> in a subsequent post, this means that your panel does have focus, but if it
> has focus and received wxEVT_CHAR events before, it should continue to
> receive them.
>
> GB> Before I really dig into this, has anyone seen something like this
> GB> before?
>
>   No. To debug this, put a breakpoint on the code handling WM_CHAR in
> src/msw/window.cpp and check what happens there. I suspect that you don't
> get these messages from Windows in the first place, as it's really the only
> explanation for what you're describing, but this doesn't really explain
> anything in any case... Can you reproduce this in (or with minimal changes
> to) the printing sample?
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

So, if I hit a key before I open print preview, I hit my break points in
wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent then in wxWindowMSW::MSWHandleMessage and
then in wxWindowMSW::HandleChar

After I close the print preview window, I only hit the first break point
in wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent

Bizarre.

Gerald

Re[2]: OnChar only getting 'special' keys

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:06:49 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> So, if I hit a key before I open print preview, I hit my break points in
GB> wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent then in wxWindowMSW::MSWHandleMessage and
GB> then in wxWindowMSW::HandleChar

 These breakpoints must be hit for different events. CreateKeyEvent() is
called from HandleChar() which is itself called from MSWHandleMessage().

GB> After I close the print preview window, I only hit the first break point
GB> in wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent

 So where is CreateKeyEvent() called from? If it's called from WM_KEYDOWN
handler, there is nothing strange in it, but you should also receive a
WM_CHAR later, unless your wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler consumes (i.e. doesn't
skip) the event.

On 2018-12-06 3:52 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 14:06:49 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> GB> So, if I hit a key before I open print preview, I hit my break points in
> GB> wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent then in wxWindowMSW::MSWHandleMessage and
> GB> then in wxWindowMSW::HandleChar
>
>   These breakpoints must be hit for different events. CreateKeyEvent() is
> called from HandleChar() which is itself called from MSWHandleMessage().

Hmmm. For testing, I have a EVTKEY_DOWN event handler, so I may have
caught more than one event. Let me remove it and try again. (It did skip
the event)

OK. I remove the key down event handler , and just have the char event.
I hit the same breakpoints on a single keypress before I open the print
preview window.

> GB> After I close the print preview window, I only hit the first break point
> GB> in wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent
>
>   So where is CreateKeyEvent() called from? If it's called from WM_KEYDOWN
> handler, there is nothing strange in it, but you should also receive a
> WM_CHAR later, unless your wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler consumes (i.e. doesn't
> skip) the event.

      WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::CreateKeyEvent(int evType, unsigned int
wParam, long lParam) Line 6013    C++
      WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::HandleKeyDown(unsigned int wParam, long
lParam) Line 6090    C++
      WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWHandleMessage(long * result, unsigned
int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3196    C++
      WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message,
unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3823    C++
WordTsar.exe!wxScrolled<wxPanel>::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg,
unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 426    C++
      WordTsar.exe!wxWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message,
unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 2909    C++

This is after I remove my key down handler, after I close the preview
window, and the only breakpoint I hit.

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 16:13:39 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> > GB> After I close the print preview window, I only hit the first break point
GB> > GB> in wxWindowMSW::CreateKeyEvent
GB> >
GB> >   So where is CreateKeyEvent() called from? If it's called from WM_KEYDOWN
GB> > handler, there is nothing strange in it, but you should also receive a
GB> > WM_CHAR later, unless your wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler consumes (i.e. doesn't
GB> > skip) the event.
GB>
GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::CreateKeyEvent(int evType, unsigned int
GB> wParam, long lParam) Line 6013    C++
GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::HandleKeyDown(unsigned int wParam, long
GB> lParam) Line 6090    C++
GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWHandleMessage(long * result, unsigned
GB> int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3196    C++
GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message,
GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3823    C++
GB> WordTsar.exe!wxScrolled<wxPanel>::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg,
GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 426    C++
GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message,
GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 2909    C++

 This is perfectly normal, but I really have no idea why you don't get the
following WM_CHAR if you don't handle this event. Can you check that
HandleKeyDown() actually does return false (meaning the event wasn't
handled)? Maybe you have some other wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler somewhere else
which gets it?

 If not, I'm afraid I really need a patch to the sample allowing to
reproduce the problem in order to do anything about this, I just don't see
how could this happen otherwise.

On 2018-12-06 4:22 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> GB> >   So where is CreateKeyEvent() called from? If it's called from WM_KEYDOWN
> GB> > handler, there is nothing strange in it, but you should also receive a
> GB> > WM_CHAR later, unless your wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler consumes (i.e. doesn't
> GB> > skip) the event.
> GB>
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::CreateKeyEvent(int evType, unsigned int
> GB> wParam, long lParam) Line 6013    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::HandleKeyDown(unsigned int wParam, long
> GB> lParam) Line 6090    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWHandleMessage(long * result, unsigned
> GB> int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3196    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message,
> GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3823    C++
> GB> WordTsar.exe!wxScrolled<wxPanel>::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg,
> GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 426    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message,
> GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 2909    C++
>
>   This is perfectly normal, but I really have no idea why you don't get the
> following WM_CHAR if you don't handle this event. Can you check that
> HandleKeyDown() actually does return false (meaning the event wasn't
> handled)? Maybe you have some other wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler somewhere else
> which gets it?
>
>   If not, I'm afraid I really need a patch to the sample allowing to
> reproduce the problem in order to do anything about this, I just don't see
> how could this happen otherwise.
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

HandleKeyDown() definitely returns false. Then I hit this code in
MSWHandleMessage()

                        if ( (wParam >= '0' && wParam <= '9') ||
                                 (wParam >= 'A' && wParam <= 'Z') )
                         {
                             // We'll get WM_CHAR for those later too.
                             break;
                         }

I'll try to duplicate it in the sample.

Gerald

Re: [SOLVEDish] OnChar only getting 'special' keys

Gerald Brandt

On 2018-12-06 4:22 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> GB> >   So where is CreateKeyEvent() called from? If it's called from WM_KEYDOWN
> GB> > handler, there is nothing strange in it, but you should also receive a
> GB> > WM_CHAR later, unless your wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler consumes (i.e. doesn't
> GB> > skip) the event.
> GB>
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::CreateKeyEvent(int evType, unsigned int
> GB> wParam, long lParam) Line 6013    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::HandleKeyDown(unsigned int wParam, long
> GB> lParam) Line 6090    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWHandleMessage(long * result, unsigned
> GB> int message, unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3196    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWindow::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int message,
> GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 3823    C++
> GB> WordTsar.exe!wxScrolled<wxPanel>::MSWWindowProc(unsigned int nMsg,
> GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 426    C++
> GB>       WordTsar.exe!wxWndProc(HWND__ * hWnd, unsigned int message,
> GB> unsigned int wParam, long lParam) Line 2909    C++
>
>   This is perfectly normal, but I really have no idea why you don't get the
> following WM_CHAR if you don't handle this event. Can you check that
> HandleKeyDown() actually does return false (meaning the event wasn't
> handled)? Maybe you have some other wxEVT_KEY_DOWN handler somewhere else
> which gets it?
>
>   If not, I'm afraid I really need a patch to the sample allowing to
> reproduce the problem in order to do anything about this, I just don't see
> how could this happen otherwise.
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

Well, I found out what was causing my issue, but not why. Before display
the print preview window, I need to make sure what I'm printing is layed
out for the printer, and that can take some time. Because of that, I
display a wxBusyInfo, do the work, and display the preview window.

     wxBusyInfo("Formatting Document for Printing", this);

     eShowControl oldsc = GetShowControls();
     SetShowControls(SHOW_NONE);
     PARAGRAPH_T para = mDocument.GetNumberofParagraphs();
     for (PARAGRAPH_T loop = 0; loop < para; loop++)
     {
         mLayoutParagraph = loop;
         IdleLayout(gPrintLayout);
         //        wxYield();
     }

     SetShowControls(oldsc);

     wxPrintDialogData printDialogData(* g_printData);

     cPrintout *preview = new cPrintout(this);
     cPrintout *print = new cPrintout(this);

     wxPrintPreview *printpreview = new wxPrintPreview(preview, print,
&printDialogData);
     if (!printpreview->IsOk())
     {
         delete printpreview;
         /// @todo tell user we failed
         return;
     }

     wxPreviewFrame *previewframe = new wxPreviewFrame(printpreview,
mWordTsar,
                                                "Print Preview",
wxPoint(100, 100), wxSize(600, 650)) ;
     previewframe->Centre(wxBOTH);
     previewframe->Initialize();
     previewframe->Show(true);

Running the above code, I lose keyboard entry when I close the preview
window.

Commenting out the wxBusyInfo makes my issue go away. So, I decided to
scope the busy info by surround with if(true){ wxBusy; my work ; }. The
problem persisted. I can't have a wxBusyInfo displayed at all.

I have no idea why, but that's the way it is.

Gerald

Re[2]: [SOLVEDish] OnChar only getting 'special' keys

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:06:39 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

[...]
GB> Commenting out the wxBusyInfo makes my issue go away. So, I decided to
GB> scope the busy info by surround with if(true){ wxBusy; my work ; }. The
GB> problem persisted. I can't have a wxBusyInfo displayed at all.
GB>
GB> I have no idea why, but that's the way it is.

 If you can reproduce this problem with a minimal patch to the printing
sample, I could try to look at it (but after 3.1.2).

On 2018-12-06 8:21 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:06:39 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> [...]
> GB> Commenting out the wxBusyInfo makes my issue go away. So, I decided to
> GB> scope the busy info by surround with if(true){ wxBusy; my work ; }. The
> GB> problem persisted. I can't have a wxBusyInfo displayed at all.
> GB>
> GB> I have no idea why, but that's the way it is.
>
>   If you can reproduce this problem with a minimal patch to the printing
> sample, I could try to look at it (but after 3.1.2).
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

I haven't been able to reproduce this in the printing sample.

On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:06:16 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:

GB> On 2018-12-06 8:21 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
GB> > On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:06:39 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
GB> >
GB> > [...]
GB> > GB> Commenting out the wxBusyInfo makes my issue go away. So, I decided to
GB> > GB> scope the busy info by surround with if(true){ wxBusy; my work ; }. The
GB> > GB> problem persisted. I can't have a wxBusyInfo displayed at all.
GB> > GB>
GB> > GB> I have no idea why, but that's the way it is.
GB> >
GB> >   If you can reproduce this problem with a minimal patch to the printing
GB> > sample, I could try to look at it (but after 3.1.2).
GB>
GB> I haven't been able to reproduce this in the printing sample.

 I don't like giving up on mysterious bugs like this as they can indicate
some deeper problems, but there is really not much I can do without being
able to debug this. In principle, you should be able to bisect the
difference between your real code and the printing (or even the minimal)
sample by either adding more and more of your code to the sample until it
starts exhibiting the problem or removing code from your application until
the bug disappears from it. But in practice it might take some time to do
it, of course...

On 2018-12-10 8:55 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 17:06:16 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
>
> GB> On 2018-12-06 8:21 p.m., Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> GB> > On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 18:06:39 -0600 Gerald Brandt wrote:
> GB> >
> GB> > [...]
> GB> >
> GB> >   If you can reproduce this problem with a minimal patch to the printing
> GB> > sample, I could try to look at it (but after 3.1.2).
> GB>
> GB> I haven't been able to reproduce this in the printing sample.
>
>   I don't like giving up on mysterious bugs like this as they can indicate
> some deeper problems, but there is really not much I can do without being
> able to debug this. In principle, you should be able to bisect the
> difference between your real code and the printing (or even the minimal)
> sample by either adding more and more of your code to the sample until it
> starts exhibiting the problem or removing code from your application until
> the bug disappears from it. But in practice it might take some time to do
> it, of course...
>
>   Regards,
> VZ

I haven't given up, but I have moved it to the back burner. I'm hoping
to have a chance to look again during the Christmas break.

Gerald