Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

Michael Uman-2
Hello,

I have encountered this problem for over a year and I was hoping it would be resolved because I cannot imagine other people haven not encountered it. The wxFilePickerCtrl does not display the correct file when it is initialized with SetPath() before being displayed with ShowModal(). I have put together a simple demonstration of the problem and am attaching the project to this post.

The only way to get it to basically function properly is to use the wxPB_USE_TEXTCTRL option but this is not what I want for my GUI (because the text control is ugly and takes up valuable space in my dialog).... I have tried a variety of ways of initializing the path before the dialog is shown and no matter what the control displays '(None)' no matter what I do. I have tried initializing the control in the OnInitDialog message but still the control displays incorrectly. I know that the file is set because if I hit the picker control it displays the file dialog properly with the file I selected highlighted. But the initial display of the control always indicates 'None' as stated before.

In the code below there is the option of setting the child controls on the SetDialogOptions() call or setting them when the OnInitDialog message is received. Either way it is set this code doesn't work properly.

#include <wx/wx.h>
#include "ConnectionDialog.h"

ConnectionDialog::ConnectionDialog( wxWindow* parent )
: ConnectionDialogBase( parent )
{
    wxLogDebug("%s", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);
}

void ConnectionDialog::OnInitDialog(wxInitDialogEvent& event) {
    wxLogDebug("%s", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);
#ifndef MODE1
    wxFileName  fn(m_sPath);

    m_remoteIPCtl->SetValue(m_sIP);
    m_ucodePathCtl->SetFileName(fn);
#endif // MODE1
}

void ConnectionDialog::SetDialogOptions(const wxString& sIP, const wxString& sPath) {
    wxLogDebug("%s [%s, %s]", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__, sIP, sPath);

#ifdef MODE1
    m_remoteIPCtl->SetValue(sIP);
    m_ucodePathCtl->SetPath(sPath);
#else
    m_sIP   = sIP;
    m_sPath = sPath;
#endif // 1
}

void ConnectionDialog::GetDialogOptions(wxString& sIP, wxString& sPath) {
    wxLogDebug("%s", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);

    sIP = m_remoteIPCtl->GetValue();
    sPath = m_ucodePathCtl->GetPath();
}

The attacked code compiles using the Codeblocks IDE (you may need to adjust the wx-config sections)...

Thank you,

Michael A. Uman
Sr. Software Engineer, System Tools
Sigma Designs, Inc.

filepickertest.tgz (23K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

oneeyeman
Hi, Michael,

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Michael Uman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have encountered this problem for over a year and I was hoping it would be
> resolved because I cannot imagine other people haven not encountered it. The
> wxFilePickerCtrl does not display the correct file when it is initialized
> with SetPath() before being displayed with ShowModal(). I have put together
> a simple demonstration of the problem and am attaching the project to this
> post.
>
> The only way to get it to basically function properly is to use the
> wxPB_USE_TEXTCTRL option but this is not what I want for my GUI (because the
> text control is ugly and takes up valuable space in my dialog).... I have
> tried a variety of ways of initializing the path before the dialog is shown
> and no matter what the control displays '(None)' no matter what I do. I have
> tried initializing the control in the OnInitDialog message but still the
> control displays incorrectly. I know that the file is set because if I hit
> the picker control it displays the file dialog properly with the file I
> selected highlighted. But the initial display of the control always
> indicates 'None' as stated before.
>
> In the code below there is the option of setting the child controls on the
> SetDialogOptions() call or setting them when the OnInitDialog message is
> received. Either way it is set this code doesn't work properly.

First very basic questions:
1. What is you wx version?
2. What is you OS/toolit you compiled against?
3. How did you configured library?

Now, the next set:
4. Can you reproduce this in the widgets sample?
5. Can you check if the dialogs sample has this problem with the
dialog and not a picker?

Thank you.

> #include <wx/wx.h>
> #include "ConnectionDialog.h"
>
> ConnectionDialog::ConnectionDialog( wxWindow* parent )
> : ConnectionDialogBase( parent )
> {
>     wxLogDebug("%s", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);
> }
>
> void ConnectionDialog::OnInitDialog(wxInitDialogEvent& event) {
>     wxLogDebug("%s", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);
> #ifndef MODE1
>     wxFileName  fn(m_sPath);
>
>     m_remoteIPCtl->SetValue(m_sIP);
>     m_ucodePathCtl->SetFileName(fn);
> #endif // MODE1
> }
>
> void ConnectionDialog::SetDialogOptions(const wxString& sIP, const wxString&
> sPath) {
>     wxLogDebug("%s [%s, %s]", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__, sIP, sPath);
>
> #ifdef MODE1
>     m_remoteIPCtl->SetValue(sIP);
>     m_ucodePathCtl->SetPath(sPath);
> #else
>     m_sIP   = sIP;
>     m_sPath = sPath;
> #endif // 1
> }
>
> void ConnectionDialog::GetDialogOptions(wxString& sIP, wxString& sPath) {
>     wxLogDebug("%s", __PRETTY_FUNCTION__);
>
>     sIP = m_remoteIPCtl->GetValue();
>     sPath = m_ucodePathCtl->GetPath();
> }
>
> The attacked code compiles using the Codeblocks IDE (you may need to adjust
> the wx-config sections)...
>
> Thank you,
>
> Michael A. Uman
> Sr. Software Engineer, System Tools
> Sigma Designs, Inc.
>
> --
> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Re: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

Michael Uman-2
Hello Igor,

Sorry for omitting those details...

I have tried this on two Linux systems

1) Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
2) Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I have used both the default release available in the Ubuntu repositories and a custom build which I use in order to include our STC lexer.

libwxgtk3.0-dev

I believe the Windows implementation doesn't exhibit this problem (our debugger is compiled for both windows and linux)...

I tried the wxWidgets 'widgets' sample this afternoon and unfortunately there is no way to initialize the filename before the widget is created. It does allow you to set the initial directory. But what I need is for the dialog to remember the previous file selected and set that when the dialog is first opened.

In the meantime I spent most of this afternoon writing my own custom control to handle this. Of course I would rather have the wxWidgets code work as expected. I am using wxFormBuilder and it is a real pain in the back to get custom controls to work in that environment.

Thank you,

Michael Uman

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 4:19:33 PM UTC-8, Igor Korot wrote:
Hi, Michael,

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 6:27 PM, Michael Uman <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="4w8Rg18xDgAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">muma...@...> wrote:

> [...]

> or visit <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users

Re: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

I suppose nobody else has encountered this problem? I find it hard to believe because at this time the wxFilePickerCtrl is unusable in my project. I need to be able to have the existing file already displayed in the control when the dialog is initialized and no matter what I call it never seems to contain the file. It always says (NONE).

I attached a PNG containing the dialog and the way it displays on my Ubuntu 14.04 Gnome Linux build.

I would appreciate if someone could verify or validate this and if it is a bug please repair it. If I am doing something wrong then please advise... For the time being I wrote my own File Picker Control sub-classed from the wxButton class which works the way I need it to in my debugger application.

Thank you,
Michael Uman

connection_dialog.png (45K) Download Attachment

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Michael Uman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I suppose nobody else has encountered this problem? I find it hard to
> believe because at this time the wxFilePickerCtrl is unusable in my project.
> I need to be able to have the existing file already displayed in the control
> when the dialog is initialized and no matter what I call it never seems to
> contain the file. It always says (NONE).
>
> I attached a PNG containing the dialog and the way it displays on my Ubuntu
> 14.04 Gnome Linux build.

What is an exact GTK+ version wx was compiled against?
Maybe it is a bug in it? Or another peculiarity of Ubuntu?

Did you try you app on a different OS/*nix distro?

Thank you.

> I would appreciate if someone could verify or validate this and if it is a
> bug please repair it. If I am doing something wrong then please advise...
> For the time being I wrote my own File Picker Control sub-classed from the
> wxButton class which works the way I need it to in my debugger application.
>
> Thank you,
> Michael Uman
>

> --
> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Re: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

Michael Uman-2
Hello Igor,

I appreciate your prompt reply...

I stated in my original post that it seems to work on the Windows platform but on both Ubuntu 14.04 w/Gnome 2.32 and on Ubuntu 16.04 the problem exists. I suspect there may be an issue with the Linux port and not the Windows port. I have just 'snipped' the image on Windows 7 and attached it. It appears on windows to use a different flavor of the picker control but the code used to create them is identical.

I suppose you will suggest I try creating the dialog with the wxFLP_USE_TEXTCTRL flag set and test it...

Thanks,
Michael Uman

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 12:07:33 PM UTC-8, Igor Korot wrote:
Hi, Michael,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Michael Uman <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="BtUJ6dXxAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">muma...@...> wrote:

windows_dialog.png (10K) Download Attachment

Re: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

oneeyeman
Michael,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Michael Uman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Igor,
>
> I appreciate your prompt reply...
>
> I stated in my original post that it seems to work on the Windows platform
> but on both Ubuntu 14.04 w/Gnome 2.32 and on Ubuntu 16.04 the problem
> exists. I suspect there may be an issue with the Linux port and not the
> Windows port. I have just 'snipped' the image on Windows 7 and attached it.
> It appears on windows to use a different flavor of the picker control but
> the code used to create them is identical.
>
> I suppose you will suggest I try creating the dialog with the
> wxFLP_USE_TEXTCTRL flag set and test it...

I would actually wanted you to install Debian/Mandriva/Gentoo/Solaris
and try it again.
But what you suggested also works. ;-)

Also, did you reproduce it in the widgets/dialogs sample?

And finally, on Windows it does use a different control - IIRC a
generic version of the
picker. I may be wrong though.

Thank you.

> Thanks,
> Michael Uman
>

> On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 12:07:33 PM UTC-8, Igor Korot wrote:
>>
>> Hi, Michael,
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:00 PM, Michael Uman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > I suppose nobody else has encountered this problem? I find it hard to
>> > believe because at this time the wxFilePickerCtrl is unusable in my
>> > project.
>> > I need to be able to have the existing file already displayed in the
>> > control
>> > when the dialog is initialized and no matter what I call it never seems
>> > contain the file. It always says (NONE).
>> >
>> > I attached a PNG containing the dialog and the way it displays on my
>> > Ubuntu
>> > 14.04 Gnome Linux build.
>>
>> What is an exact GTK+ version wx was compiled against?
>> Maybe it is a bug in it? Or another peculiarity of Ubuntu?
>>
>> Did you try you app on a different OS/*nix distro?
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> > I would appreciate if someone could verify or validate this and if it is
>> > bug please repair it. If I am doing something wrong then please
>> > advise...
>> > For the time being I wrote my own File Picker Control sub-classed from
>> > the
>> > wxButton class which works the way I need it to in my debugger
>> > application.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> > Michael Uman
>> >

>> > --
>> > Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Re: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

Michael Uman-2
Thanks Igor,

Last week I started installing a Debian 8 virtual machine. I need to build my custom wxWidgets static library before I can build the debugger there. I hope to be able to get that taken care of by this weekend.

Thanks,

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 12:31:30 PM UTC-8, Igor Korot wrote:
Michael,

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 3:21 PM, Michael Uman <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="-9OClyTzAQAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">muma...@...> wrote:

> [...]

> Please read <a href="http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wxwidgets.org%2Fsupport%2Fmlhowto.htm\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGeLI38cNrlq2cC-jNsMzVrvhdIVA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wxwidgets.org%2Fsupport%2Fmlhowto.htm\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGeLI38cNrlq2cC-jNsMzVrvhdIVA&#39;;return true;">http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

> or visit <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users

Re[2]: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 12:00:32 -0800 (PST) Michael Uman wrote:

MU> I suppose nobody else has encountered this problem? I find it hard to
MU> believe because at this time the wxFilePickerCtrl is unusable in my
MU> project. I need to be able to have the existing file already displayed in
MU> the control when the dialog is initialized and no matter what I call it
MU> never seems to contain the file. It always says (*NONE)*.

 I saw your message but I just don't have the time for anything more
involved than applying a small patch to a sample and debugging it there,
sorry. I used to reply to all messages saying this, but it just gets too
tiresome after doing it a couple of thousands times... Still, once again,
if you'd like help with a concrete issue in the library, please make a
patch (see http://trac.wxwidgets.org/wiki/HowToSubmitPatches for the
mechanics of making patches) to a sample ("widgets" one in this case,
probably, or "minimal" if in doubt) showing the problem and open a Trac
ticket with it. This doesn't guarantee an answer, of course, but not doing
it almost guarantees the absence of one, unless somebody already knows it.

Re: Re[2]: Problems with wxFilePickerCtrl on Linux w/Gnome

Michael Uman-2
Hello Vadim,

I appreciate your input. At this time I will try what Igor suggested and post my findings this coming Monday. If this doesn't result in any solution I will attempt to patch the example program and submit a patch as your suggested.

I love wxWidgets and am a long-time supporter of you and the wxWidgets  communities work.

Thank you,
Michael Uman

patch (see <a href="http://trac.wxwidgets.org/wiki/HowToSubmitPatches" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ftrac.wxwidgets.org%2Fwiki%2FHowToSubmitPatches\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHec44jT7H-BpiNGjCOLrS8KQ-EXQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Ftrac.wxwidgets.org%2Fwiki%2FHowToSubmitPatches\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHec44jT7H-BpiNGjCOLrS8KQ-EXQ&#39;;return true;">http://trac.wxwidgets.org/wiki/HowToSubmitPatches for the