Re: [wx-dev] [wxMac] should I evaluate wxTE_RICH ... ?

Re: [wx-dev] [wxMac] should I evaluate wxTE_RICH ... ?

William H. Schultz
This is one of the things that I do find a little bit annoying about
wxWidgets...  it's obvious that it's built around windows.  On the
Mac, we still have to program knowing about MS Windows' limitations.
wxTE_RICH and wxTE_RICH2 are blatantly MS Windows-based constructs.
They don't make any sense on the Mac.  As far as I'm aware, all text
controls on OS X are rich text (why wouldn't they be?).  In fact, the
existence of these flags causes an inconsistency.  If they are not
used on the Mac (the default), you get a rich text control, with full
functionality.  If they are not used on the PC (also the default),
you get a very limited text control.

I know that this can't just be changed, as any change could cause all
kinds of programs to break.  But it's an inconsistency, and by its
very existence, programs break automatically when switching
platforms.  I think one of two things should be done at some point:
1)  flat text controls are the default on all platforms.  If the
platform is automatically rich, then all pasted/input text will
automatically be restricted to the current style (this would break
some Mac stuff, at least).  2)  rich text controls are the default on
all platforms.  Modern OSes are easily capable of this, so it should
probably be the norm.  An additional flag is added to limit input
size or to flatten the text style (this would break some stuff on the
PC).

Maybe this is a wxTNG discussion...  I'm CCing the wx-discuss list
for posterity.  Feel free to limit replies to that list.

Hank Schultz
Cedrus Corporation
http://www.cedrus.com/