SoC Idea

Mokhtar M. Khorshid

Hello,

A while ago I was evaluating GUI solution alternatives to use in an RPG (http://spacecraft.thunder-power.com), some were expensive, others were poor, and then there was wxWidgets. Eventually I selected none. wxWidgets was aimed mainly at keeping the native OS look and feel consistent, and was thus did not include controls well suited for games. I believe that considering this usage would greatly extend the applicability of wxWidgets into new domains.

I am proposing a vitalization idea. Going along the lines of the "wxWallCtrl" and "Animation for UI Elements" ideas, I would like to suggest that we build in-place animated (non-native but consistent) versions of the basic controls. By animated I do not mean moving, but rather changing appearance in place. For example a check box would have an animated square that flickers or slightly changes shape from a box to hexagon etc... a push button would have an animated background and an animated “pushed” state.

Another option would be to have in-place special effects. One possibility would be to "roll out" a control when it is displayed. It starts as a small collapsed roll that horizontally (or vertically) unrolls to fill its destination area. Imagine a tree control where you do not just collapse the sub trees but also the text of the nodes, or a drop down list that is actually just a list box but rolled up (although in this case you wouldn’t be able to read its selected item)

The animated versions would probably be heavier than their basic counterparts, so they should be built as parallels or derived versions of the original controls. Special effects can also be implemented as decorators that apply their effect backwards, and only used when such effects are needed.

Please let me know what you think.

Have a nice day.

-Mokhtar M. Khorshid

Re: SoC Idea

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:46:19 +0200 "Mokhtar M. Khorshid" <[hidden email]> wrote:

MMK> A while ago I was evaluating GUI solution alternatives to use in an RPG
MMK> (http://spacecraft.thunder-power.com), some were expensive, others were
MMK> poor, and then there was wxWidgets. Eventually I selected none. wxWidgets
MMK> was aimed mainly at keeping the native OS look and feel consistent, and was
MMK> thus did not include controls well suited for games. I believe that
MMK> considering this usage would greatly extend the applicability of wxWidgets
MMK> into new domains.

 Personally I don't think this is the direction we should be going in.
Unlike providing the standard UI which can be used by 90% of the
standard applications, providing non-standard UI doesn't make much sense
because it won't be even used by the remaining 10% -- each of them will
want to use its own UI, this is the whole point of being non-standard,
isn't it.

MMK> I am proposing a vitalization idea. Going along the lines of the
MMK> "wxWallCtrl" and "Animation for UI Elements" ideas, I would like to suggest
MMK> that we build in-place animated (non-native but consistent) versions of the
MMK> basic controls. By animated I do not mean moving, but rather changing
MMK> appearance in place. For example a check box would have an animated square
MMK> that flickers or slightly changes shape from a box to hexagon etc... a push
MMK> button would have an animated background and an animated "pushed" state.

 This could be achieved by using a wxUniv theme (with some modifications to
the main library perhaps) and really should be done like this. There is no
point in doing it in the main library.

P.S. And the fact that people believe that doing this would be a good idea
     after reading wxWallCtrl proposal just shows, IMNSHO, that wxWallCtrl
     is a bad idea too.

Re: SoC Idea

Julian Smart
Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> P.S. And the fact that people believe that doing this would be a good idea
>      after reading wxWallCtrl proposal just shows, IMNSHO, that wxWallCtrl
>      is a bad idea too.

That's a fairly tenuous piece of logic, and one person is not 'people'.

Regards,

Julian