radiobox events

John Kominek
I've noticed that repeated selections of the same item in a radiobox are
filtered out. That is, an event is generated only the first time a given
item is selected, none after that (unless the selection changes). I'd
like to be alerted to all of the user's selection actions, even the
redundant ones.
How can this be done?

I'm quite new to wxpython -- this is my first discussion list posting --
and so have no clue whether this is easy, or deep and hard.

john

Re: radiobox events

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:12:32 -0400 John Kominek <[hidden email]> wrote:

JK> I've noticed that repeated selections of the same item in a radiobox are
JK> filtered out. That is, an event is generated only the first time a given
JK> item is selected, none after that (unless the selection changes). I'd
JK> like to be alerted to all of the user's selection actions, even the
JK> redundant ones.
JK> How can this be done?

 This can't be done currently and I am not sure if the native control
generates an event for this at all (and if it doesn't, we can't generate it
neither). In any case, this would make for a very particular and non
standard UI and if you really need something like this you're better off
using your own custom control.

JK> I'm quite new to wxpython -- this is my first discussion list posting --

 FWIW the discussion list is about the non-technical discussion of
wxWidgets. Your post really belong to wx-users.

 Good luck,

Re: radiobox events

Julian Smart
Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 18:12:32 -0400 John Kominek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> JK> I've noticed that repeated selections of the same item in a radiobox are
> JK> filtered out. That is, an event is generated only the first time a given
> JK> item is selected, none after that (unless the selection changes). I'd
> JK> like to be alerted to all of the user's selection actions, even the
> JK> redundant ones.
> JK> How can this be done?
>
>  This can't be done currently and I am not sure if the native control
> generates an event for this at all (and if it doesn't, we can't generate it
> neither). In any case, this would make for a very particular and non
> standard UI and if you really need something like this you're better off
> using your own custom control.

You might be able to do it by intercepting left mouse button events -
probably this would work better with wxRadioButton since wxRadioBox is a
composite control. Also, this might work on some platforms but not others.

Regards,

Julian