wx mail list changes

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

wx mail list changes

Robin Dunn
Hi all,

This is just a warning that I will likely be fiddling with the wx mail
lists over the next couple days, with the ultimate goal of moving the
lists to a new server and switching to Mailman.  My intent is to have as
little impact on all of you as possible.  I'll be able to move the
subscriber lists and archives without too much hassle, and we'll
continue using the same hostname and list addresses, (although I'll
probably change the names of the "cvs" lists.)  Hopefully I'll also be
able to make the current archives available in the old format as well,
so the existing links to archived messages will still work.

There will likely be some portion of time where the mail lists don't
work well while the DNS for lists.wxwidgets.org is transfered to the new
IP address.  Depending on how long the DNS addresses are cached upstream
from you it could take from a couple hours up to half a day or so for
the change to propagate.  I'll send a message just before I make the DNS
change.

Since Mailman makes it much easier than ezmlm for subscribers to manage
their own subscription and delivery options, I am going to set the lists
to reject messages from non-subscribers to help cut down on spam.  (The
server is also running SpamAssassin, and ClamAV.)  For example, if
somebody wants to read the lists via GMane but still be able to send via
the mail lists then they can subscribe but turn off the delivery of
email messages.  (This is the most common reason I've heard from
subscribers wanting to suspend delivery.)

One thing that I still haven't figured out a solution for is the USENET
gateway for wx-users <--> comp.soft-sys.wxwindows.  Mailman has good
support for this, but it needs an NNTP server to post to and read from.
  Can anybody suggest a site providing open/free NNTP service that could
be used for the gateway?

Is there any value in loading the old archives of the cvs commit lists?
  What about archiving future messages?  Since all the same info is
available via the svn web interfaces I think that it would be worth the
space savings to not archive them.

Also, even after I've made a couple requests for it the DotSrc people
still haven't made the archives of wx-discuss available via rsync like
the other lists.  Does anybody have a complete or mostly compete set of
messages from wx-discuss that you can send me?  (Preferably in mbox
format, but with a little scripting I expect I can handle any standard
format.)

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
http://wxPython.org  Java give you jitters?  Relax with wxPython!


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: wx mail list changes

Robin Dunn
Robin Dunn wrote:
> There will likely be some portion of time where the mail lists don't
> work well while the DNS for lists.wxwidgets.org is transfered to the new
> IP address.  Depending on how long the DNS addresses are cached upstream
> from you it could take from a couple hours up to half a day or so for
> the change to propagate.  I'll send a message just before I make the DNS
> change.

I got all the lists set up, subscribers added, and archives imported
last night, but figured I should wait until I'm more awake to make the
DNS change.  So I'll go ahead and do that now.  You'll be able to tell
when the change has propagated to you when lists.wxwidgets.org resolves
to 72.9.158.149.

I still need to set up the mail/news gateway for wx-users, but that will
be easier once the messages start flowing through the new server.  I
also still need to look into settign up the old ezmlm archives.

BTW, does anybody know of a tool that can scan for spam in an mbox file
and build a new mbox with the non-spam messages?  I wrote a little
script to run archive messages through SpamAssassin (via spamc) and it
was working well, but I calculated that at the rate it was running it
would take 4-5 days to process the archives for each of our high-volume
lists so I canceled it.


--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
http://wxPython.org  Java give you jitters?  Relax with wxPython!


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: wx mail list changes

Tal Einat
Robin Dunn wrote:

BTW, does anybody know of a tool that can scan for spam in an mbox file
and build a new mbox with the non-spam messages?  I wrote a little
script to run archive messages through SpamAssassin (via spamc) and it
was working well, but I calculated that at the rate it was running it
would take 4-5 days to process the archives for each of our high-volume
lists so I canceled it.

Why not parallelize? Send one mbox to each of several volunteers from these lists so their computer can filter it in the background. With enough volunteers, you can split the mbox-es into pieces to reduce the load on each volunteer.

I'll gladly volunteer my spare CPUs, but beware that I run WindowsXP...

This way you'll have this all done in a week.

- Tal

_______________________________________________
wx-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wx-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: wx mail list changes

Robin Dunn
In reply to this post by Robin Dunn
Test message.  This should be going through the new server...

--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
http://wxPython.org  Java give you jitters?  Relax with wxPython!

_______________________________________________
wx-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wx-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: wx mail list changes

Bryan Petty
On 3/21/08, Robin Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Test message.  This should be going through the new server...

Seems to be working :)

Regards,
Bryan Petty
_______________________________________________
wx-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wx-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: wx mail list changes

Robin Dunn
In reply to this post by Tal Einat
Tal Einat wrote:

> *Robin Dunn* wrote:
>
>
>     BTW, does anybody know of a tool that can scan for spam in an mbox file
>     and build a new mbox with the non-spam messages?  I wrote a little
>     script to run archive messages through SpamAssassin (via spamc) and it
>     was working well, but I calculated that at the rate it was running it
>     would take 4-5 days to process the archives for each of our high-volume
>     lists so I canceled it.
>
>
> Why not parallelize? Send one mbox to each of several volunteers from
> these lists so their computer can filter it in the background. With
> enough volunteers, you can split the mbox-es into pieces to reduce the
> load on each volunteer.

Yes, that thought did cross my mind as well.  I may do that if no other
solution comes up.


--
Robin Dunn
Software Craftsman
http://wxPython.org  Java give you jitters?  Relax with wxPython!

_______________________________________________
wx-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wx-discuss
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Re: wx mail list changes

Bryan Petty
In reply to this post by Robin Dunn
On 3/21/08, Robin Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Test message.  This should be going through the new server...

Have you set up subscribers on the wx-dev or wx-discuss lists yet, I'm
having problems sending on both these lists, and I should be subcribed
on both.

Regards,
Bryan Petty
_______________________________________________
wx-discuss mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.wxwidgets.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/wx-discuss
Loading...