wxBORDER_XXXXX: is it useful? Nearly all of them give the same output.

wxBORDER_XXXXX: is it useful? Nearly all of them give the same output.

Frédéric
I have just tested wxBORDER_SIMPLE, wxBORDER_SUNKEN, wxBORDER_RAISED,
wxBORDER_STATIC, wxBORDER_THEME, wxBORDER_DOUBLE with wxPanel on GTK3
and what I get is surprising:
- wxBORDER_SIMPLE, wxBORDER_SUNKEN, wxBORDER_RAISED, wxBORDER_THEME,
wxBORDER_DOUBLE all give the same thin border around the window.
- wxBORDER_STATIC give no border at all.

So my question: is it really useful to have all those enums if they do
the same thing?

Re: wxBORDER_XXXXX: is it useful? Nearly all of them give the same output.

Gunter Königsmann
I guess each of them does the best it can on the current operating system.

Re: wxBORDER_XXXXX: is it useful? Nearly all of them give the same output.

oneeyeman
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 4:09 AM Gunter Königsmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I guess each of them does the best it can on the current operating system.

With the current Window Manager on the current theme.

Thank you.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 10:42:42 +0200 Frédéric wrote:

F> I have just tested wxBORDER_SIMPLE, wxBORDER_SUNKEN, wxBORDER_RAISED,
F> wxBORDER_STATIC, wxBORDER_THEME, wxBORDER_DOUBLE with wxPanel on GTK3
F> and what I get is surprising:
F> - wxBORDER_SIMPLE, wxBORDER_SUNKEN, wxBORDER_RAISED, wxBORDER_THEME,
F> wxBORDER_DOUBLE all give the same thin border around the window.
F> - wxBORDER_STATIC give no border at all.
F>
F> So my question: is it really useful to have all those enums if they do
F> the same thing?

 Nowadays only wxBORDER_NONE is really useful. The border styles correspond
to 1990s era MSW borders which are not even used by the modern MSW versions
themselves, let alone any other platforms.

Re: wxBORDER_XXXXX: is it useful? Nearly all of them give the same output.

Frédéric
>  Nowadays only wxBORDER_NONE is really useful. The border styles correspond
> to 1990s era MSW borders which are not even used by the modern MSW versions
> themselves, let alone any other platforms.

Oh, dear! Sould we deprecate them?

I am trying to make my own control with the same border as wxTextCtrl,
i.e. on GTK dark gray border with rounded corners when the control
doesn't have the focus and blue border when the control has the focus.
Can I derive from anything to get that? Sadly, deriving from wxWindow
gives me a black border with square corners so not really the same as
the wxTextCtrl that are seen on the same screen.

Re[2]: wxBORDER_XXXXX: is it useful? Nearly all of them give the same output.

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 14:57:25 +0200 Frédéric wrote:

F> >  Nowadays only wxBORDER_NONE is really useful. The border styles correspond
F> > to 1990s era MSW borders which are not even used by the modern MSW versions
F> > themselves, let alone any other platforms.
F>
F> Oh, dear! Sould we deprecate them?

 Probably, but OTOH it does no real harm to have them, so it's very low
priority.

F> I am trying to make my own control with the same border as wxTextCtrl,

 This is a horribly hackish way to do it, but I think your best bet might
be to position your control on top of a real wxTextCtrl, covering it almost
entirely. This might not work for other reasons and it might flicker, but I
don't think you can get exactly the same borders as wxTextCtrl has in any
other way, especially under GTK.