wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Andreas Falkenhahn
I noticed that while dragging the thumb of a wxScrollBar no other events except wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK seem to be processed. Normal event processing only continues when releasing the thumb by releasing LMB.

Calling Yield() whenever I get wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK solves the issue but I'm wondering whether it is supposed to behave like that.

Tested on MSW.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Eran Ifrah
This is strange, as I call Refresh() during wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK  and the view seems to refresh itself (i.e. the paint events are being received and handled)
Eran

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
I noticed that while dragging the thumb of a wxScrollBar no other events except wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK seem to be processed. Normal event processing only continues when releasing the thumb by releasing LMB.

Calling Yield() whenever I get wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK solves the issue but I'm wondering whether it is supposed to behave like that.

Tested on MSW.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:[hidden email]

Eran Ifrah,
Author of CodeLite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Andreas Falkenhahn
AFAIR Refresh() will immediately call OnPaint() instead of posting an event to the queue so your observations don't contradict mine.

On 30.09.2018 at 22:00 Eran Ifrah wrote:

> This is strange, as I call Refresh() during wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK
> and the view seems to refresh itself (i.e. the paint events are being received and handled)
> Eran
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that while dragging the thumb of a wxScrollBar no other
> events except wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK seem to be processed. Normal
> event processing only continues when releasing the thumb by releasing LMB.
>
>  Calling Yield() whenever I get wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK solves the
> issue but I'm wondering whether it is supposed to behave like that.
>
>  Tested on MSW.
>
>  --
>  Best regards,
>   Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:[hidden email]
>
>  --
>  Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Eran Ifrah
I dont think so...
The 'Refresh' is called on the next event loop.
I just confirmed this (again):
* Put a breakpoint in THUMBTRACK handler
* Drag the scrollbar
* THUMBTRACK  handler is
* Place a breakpoint inside OnPaint (cant put it earlier as I wont be able to debug)
* Step over a call to 'Refresh' in the THUMBTRACK handler
* OnPaint is not called, it is called if I continue the debugger 'Continue'

Tested this with GCC 7.1 Windows 7 64 bit
But I am pretty sure this is the correct behavior.
If you want an immediate update, than 'Update()' is the way to go

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
AFAIR Refresh() will immediately call OnPaint() instead of posting an event to the queue so your observations don't contradict mine.

On 30.09.2018 at 22:00 Eran Ifrah wrote:

> This is strange, as I call Refresh() during wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK
> and the view seems to refresh itself (i.e. the paint events are being received and handled)
> Eran
> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I noticed that while dragging the thumb of a wxScrollBar no other
> events except wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK seem to be processed. Normal
> event processing only continues when releasing the thumb by releasing LMB.

>  Calling Yield() whenever I get wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK solves the
> issue but I'm wondering whether it is supposed to behave like that.

>  Tested on MSW.

>  --
>  Best regards,
>   Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:[hidden email]

>  --
>  Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

Eran Ifrah,
Author of CodeLite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Andreas Falkenhahn
Here is a very short example of what I mean. Every second the thread adds a new entry to the wxListBox by sending a message to the main event queue. Now try dragging the wxScrollBar's thumb. You'll see that no entries are added to the listbox while the thumb is being dragged. If you drag the thumb for 10 seconds for example, you'll see no entries being added but as soon as you release the thumb there will be 10 new entries because those were cached but not handled.

test.cpp (3K) Download Attachment

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Andreas Falkenhahn
*bump*

Any feedback on this? Is it intended to behave like that?

On 01.10.2018 at 12:47 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

> Here is a very short example of what I mean. Every second the
> thread adds a new entry to the wxListBox by sending a message to the
> main event queue. Now try dragging the wxScrollBar's thumb. You'll
> see that no entries are added to the listbox while the thumb is
> being dragged. If you drag the thumb for 10 seconds for example,
> you'll see no entries being added but as soon as you release the
> thumb there will be 10 new entries because those were cached but not handled.

> On 30.09.2018 at 22:23 Eran Ifrah wrote:

>> I dont think so...
>> The 'Refresh' is called on the next event loop.
>> I just confirmed this (again):
>> * Put a breakpoint in THUMBTRACK handler
>> * Drag the scrollbar
>> * THUMBTRACK  handler is
>> * Place a breakpoint inside OnPaint (cant put it earlier as I wont be able to debug)
>> * Step over a call to 'Refresh' in the THUMBTRACK handler
>> * OnPaint is not called, it is called if I continue the debugger 'Continue'

>> Tested this with GCC 7.1 Windows 7 64 bit
>> But I am pretty sure this is the correct behavior.
>> If you want an immediate update, than 'Update()' is the way to go

>> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> AFAIR Refresh() will immediately call OnPaint() instead of posting
>> an event to the queue so your observations don't contradict mine.
>>
>>  On 30.09.2018 at 22:00 Eran Ifrah wrote:
>>
 >>> This is strange, as I call Refresh() during wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK
 >>> and the view seems to refresh itself (i.e. the paint events are being received and handled)
 >>> Eran
 >>> On Sun, Sep 30, 2018 at 10:47 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
 >>> I noticed that while dragging the thumb of a wxScrollBar no other
 >>> events except wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK seem to be processed. Normal
 >>> event processing only continues when releasing the thumb by releasing LMB.
 >>>
 >>>  Calling Yield() whenever I get wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK solves the
 >>> issue but I'm wondering whether it is supposed to behave like that.
 >>>
 >>>  Tested on MSW.
 >>>
 >>>  --
 >>>  Best regards,
 >>>   Andreas Falkenhahn                          mailto:[hidden email]
 >>>
 >>>  --
 >>>  Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

>>  --
>>  Best regards,
>>   Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>>  --
>>  Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

> Best regards,
>  Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re[2]: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 14:47:01 +0200 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

AF> Any feedback on this? Is it intended to behave like that?

 I didn't have time to look at it yet, but I suspect I know what I will
find: Windows must be running a local modal event loop while you're
dragging the slider and so we just don't get control back until something
happens. At least with the latest master, this "something" includes
generating any events, so as long as you're actually dragging it, you
should be fine. But if you just press the mouse and don't move it, nothing
happens because we must be just sitting inside ::GetMessage() call in this
event loop. I'm not sure how to solve this without breaking #17579 again.

On 03.10.2018 at 15:00 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> so as long as you're actually dragging it, you should be fine.

Actually that's not the case. I'm dragging it all the time and the event
queue seems to be completely stuck even though I'm dragging the thumb all
the time. You can try it for yourself using the example I sent in a previous mail...

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 15:07:30 +0200 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

AF> On 03.10.2018 at 15:00 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
AF>
AF> > so as long as you're actually dragging it, you should be fine.
AF>
AF> Actually that's not the case. I'm dragging it all the time and the event
AF> queue seems to be completely stuck even though I'm dragging the thumb all
AF> the time. You can try it for yourself using the example I sent in a previous mail...

 Yes, I did, and I don't see it. Are you using [something close to] the
latest master? AFAICS the latest changes affecting this must have happened
in January.

On 03.10.2018 at 16:11 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 15:07:30 +0200 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

AF>> On 03.10.2018 at 15:00 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

AF>> > so as long as you're actually dragging it, you should be fine.

AF>> Actually that's not the case. I'm dragging it all the time and the event
AF>> queue seems to be completely stuck even though I'm dragging the thumb all
AF>> the time. You can try it for yourself using the example I sent in a previous mail...

>  Yes, I did, and I don't see it. Are you using [something close to] the
> latest master? AFAICS the latest changes affecting this must have happened
> in January.

I've just tried to give it a shot with the latest master but things don't seem
to be that easy any more. When downloading the latest master as a zip, the zlib,
png, jpeg, and tiff library files are missing. Manually copying them also didn't
help because then I got the following error message:

    wxwidgets-master\src\png\pngpriv.h(72) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pnglibconf.h': No such file or directory

Is it no longer possible to simply download the latest master as a zip and
just build it using this line?

    nmake /f makefile.vc BUILD=release RUNTIME_LIBS=static DEBUG_FLAG=0

This used to work fine all the time but it now it's broken :/

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

oneeyeman
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM Andreas Falkenhahn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.10.2018 at 16:11 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> AF>> Actually that's not the case. I'm dragging it all the time and the event
> AF>> queue seems to be completely stuck even though I'm dragging the thumb all
> AF>> the time. You can try it for yourself using the example I sent in a previous mail...
>
> >  Yes, I did, and I don't see it. Are you using [something close to] the
> > latest master? AFAICS the latest changes affecting this must have happened
> > in January.
>
> I've just tried to give it a shot with the latest master but things don't seem
> to be that easy any more. When downloading the latest master as a zip, the zlib,
> png, jpeg, and tiff library files are missing. Manually copying them also didn't
> help because then I got the following error message:
>
>     wxwidgets-master\src\png\pngpriv.h(72) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pnglibconf.h': No such file or directory
>
> Is it no longer possible to simply download the latest master as a zip and
> just build it using this line?

Why not just use this:

git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets.git

from the http://www.wxwidgets.org/develop/code-repository/?

All those libraries are now submidulesand I guess the script that
generates a daily zip file is somehow broken.

Thank you.

On 03.10.2018 at 21:49 Igor Korot wrote:

> Hi,

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM Andreas Falkenhahn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> >  Yes, I did, and I don't see it. Are you using [something close to] the
>> > latest master? AFAICS the latest changes affecting this must have happened
>> > in January.

>> I've just tried to give it a shot with the latest master but things don't seem
>> to be that easy any more. When downloading the latest master as a zip, the zlib,
>> png, jpeg, and tiff library files are missing. Manually copying them also didn't
>> help because then I got the following error message:

>>     wxwidgets-master\src\png\pngpriv.h(72) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pnglibconf.h': No such file or directory

>> Is it no longer possible to simply download the latest master as a zip and
>> just build it using this line?

> Why not just use this:

> git clone --recurse-submodules
> https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets.git

I don't have git on my Windows machine.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

oneeyeman
Hi,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:53 PM Andreas Falkenhahn
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03.10.2018 at 21:49 Igor Korot wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM Andreas Falkenhahn
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> I've just tried to give it a shot with the latest master but things don't seem
> >> to be that easy any more. When downloading the latest master as a zip, the zlib,
> >> png, jpeg, and tiff library files are missing. Manually copying them also didn't
> >> help because then I got the following error message:
>
> >>     wxwidgets-master\src\png\pngpriv.h(72) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pnglibconf.h': No such file or directory
>
> >> Is it no longer possible to simply download the latest master as a zip and
> >> just build it using this line?
>
> > Why not just use this:
>
> > git clone --recurse-submodules
> > https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets.git
>
> I don't have git on my Windows machine.

As a temporary workaround you could just grab the sources with this
command on *nix/OSX and copy it over to the Windows machine.
As I said all those libraries are now submodules in git and the script
that creates a daily zip is broken.

Thank you.

> --
> Best regards,
>  Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]
>
> --
> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Eran Ifrah
This is the git I am using on Window:

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 10:53 PM Andreas Falkenhahn <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 03.10.2018 at 21:49 Igor Korot wrote:

> Hi,

> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:42 PM Andreas Falkenhahn
> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> >  Yes, I did, and I don't see it. Are you using [something close to] the
>> > latest master? AFAICS the latest changes affecting this must have happened
>> > in January.

>> I've just tried to give it a shot with the latest master but things don't seem
>> to be that easy any more. When downloading the latest master as a zip, the zlib,
>> png, jpeg, and tiff library files are missing. Manually copying them also didn't
>> help because then I got the following error message:

>>     wxwidgets-master\src\png\pngpriv.h(72) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'pnglibconf.h': No such file or directory

>> Is it no longer possible to simply download the latest master as a zip and
>> just build it using this line?

> Why not just use this:

> git clone --recurse-submodules
> https://github.com/wxWidgets/wxWidgets.git

I don't have git on my Windows machine.

--
Best regards,
 Andreas Falkenhahn                            mailto:[hidden email]

Eran Ifrah,
Author of CodeLite, a cross platform open source C/C++ IDE: http://www.codelite.org

Re: wxEVT_SCROLL_THUMBTRACK blocks other events

Andreas Falkenhahn
On 03.10.2018 at 16:11 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 15:07:30 +0200 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

AF>> On 03.10.2018 at 15:00 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

AF>> > so as long as you're actually dragging it, you should be fine.

AF>> Actually that's not the case. I'm dragging it all the time and the event
AF>> queue seems to be completely stuck even though I'm dragging the thumb all
AF>> the time. You can try it for yourself using the example I sent in a previous mail...

>  Yes, I did, and I don't see it. Are you using [something close to] the
> latest master? AFAICS the latest changes affecting this must have happened
> in January.

Ok, I've tried the official 3.1.1 distribution now which builds fine here and
indeed the problem is no longer there with 3.1.1. Do you remember which commit
fixed it so that I can try to apply it to my version of 3.1.0?

On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 22:17:03 +0200 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

AF> Ok, I've tried the official 3.1.1 distribution now which builds fine
AF> here and indeed the problem is no longer there with 3.1.1.

 Do you mean that with 3.1.1 you even get the events when not moving the
mouse? If so, this would be worrisome as it would mean that things have
regressed since then.

 BTW, there is really no excuse to not use Git nowadays. You may think
whatever you want about it and don't have to love it as much as I
personally do, but it's the de facto standard and you can't ignore it.

AF> Do you remember which commit fixed it so that I can try to apply it to
AF> my version of 3.1.0?

 It's going to be difficult as there were several commits, some of which
reverted older changes. You really should rebase your local changes on
3.1.1 or on master instead.

On 03.10.2018 at 22:31 Vadim Zeitlin wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2018 22:17:03 +0200 Andreas Falkenhahn wrote:

AF>> Ok, I've tried the official 3.1.1 distribution now which builds fine
AF>> here and indeed the problem is no longer there with 3.1.1.

>  Do you mean that with 3.1.1 you even get the events when not moving the
> mouse? If so, this would be worrisome as it would mean that things have
> regressed since then.

No, I'm not getting events when not moving the mouse but this is ok with me.
When not moving the mouse my app doesn't have to do anything so not getting
those events in that particular case is fine with me as long as they come in
when moving the mouse.

>  BTW, there is really no excuse to not use Git nowadays. You may think
> whatever you want about it and don't have to love it as much as I
> personally do, but it's the de facto standard and you can't ignore it.

When it comes to building I really, really like the KISS principle. Git might
not be bloatware and might not have many dependencies but in general additional
tools required for building scare me off. I've had the "joy" to experience Gradle
when doing Android development and I think it's madness and pure overkill. Might
be very nice for corporate environments who of all small developers needs such
monsters please?!

Also, CMake has been the source of many, many problems here in the past (not
wxWidgets-related) with nobody really being able to tell what's wrong because
of the multitude of versions and stuff involved. That's why I have always
appreciated the simplicity of wxWidgets: just download a zip, unpack, build
with nmake and that's that.

AF>> Do you remember which commit fixed it so that I can try to apply it to
AF>> my version of 3.1.0?

>  It's going to be difficult as there were several commits, some of which
> reverted older changes. You really should rebase your local changes on
> 3.1.1 or on master instead.

Ok, I'll do a git checkout and try the latest master.