Quantcast

wxGrid native appearance beyond headers

Andrew H
I have a wxGrid that I have enabled SetUseNativeColLabels(True) on, as I want column sort indicators.
I would like to have the rest of the grid match the visual appearance of the column headers, but I can't seem to find a way to achieve this. Is there something simple I'm just not seeing in the documentation?

I see a visual difference (in Windows at least, haven't tried it on Linux yet) between UseNativeColHeader and SetUseNativeColLabels, with my users preferring the right aligned filled triangle sort indicator of the SetUseNativeColLabels over the top centered hollow arrows of the UseNativeColHeader (at least in Win10). Are there any other differences I should be aware of beyond just visual appearance?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: wxGrid native appearance beyond headers

Vadim Zeitlin-4
On Thu, 23 Mar 2017 17:03:40 -0700 (PDT) Andrew H wrote:

AH> I have a wxGrid that I have enabled SetUseNativeColLabels(True) on, as I
AH> want column sort indicators.
AH> I would like to have the rest of the grid match the visual appearance of
AH> the column headers, but I can't seem to find a way to achieve this. Is
AH> there something simple I'm just not seeing in the documentation?

 No, wxGrid just doesn't have a native appearance, it's a generic control.
If you want something more native, you can use wxDataViewCtrl (but it's not
without its own problems, unfortunately).

AH> I see a visual difference (in Windows at least, haven't tried it on Linux
AH> yet) between UseNativeColHeader and SetUseNativeColLabels, with my users
AH> preferring the right aligned filled triangle sort indicator of the
AH> SetUseNativeColLabels over the top centered hollow arrows of the
AH> UseNativeColHeader (at least in Win10). Are there any other differences I
AH> should be aware of beyond just visual appearance?

 No, these methods change just the appearance. Notice that the generic
column header appearance can be customized to an extent.

Re: wxGrid native appearance beyond headers

Andrew H
Ok, I looked at the wxDataViewCtrl briefly when I designed this form, but it seemed a bit too complicated. My data is spreadsheet type data, so I have no need to put other controls into the cells.
Maybe it would be the 'best' control to use, but seeing as the functionality is way more important than the look (and coding time is limited), I'm probably not going to switch at this point.

It would be nice if the default column headers had _some_ kind of sort indicator (or the grid had a way to apply the native look to all the rows, not just the column headers).

Thanks,
Andrew