Quantcast

wxHtmlHelpController and modal dialogs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

wxHtmlHelpController and modal dialogs

jon bird
Hi,

I'm experiencing some odd behaviour with wxHtmlHelpController when
invoked from a modal dialog under GTK. If I activate the dialog, press
the Help button (which in turn calls DisplaySection), the help is
activated fine. It's modal (so has to be closed before the dialog that
activated is) but I can probably live with that. However after closing
the dialog, *none* of my top level menu items are then actioned and
neither can I close the application - I have to terminate it from a kill
command.

There's nothing (or at least I can't find anything) in the online docs
about modal dialog behaviour but the WxWidgets book does discuss it:

"However, there is a catch here: showing help from a modal dialog does
not work on all platforms. Where the help viewer is an external
application (for example, when using wxCHMHelpController on Windows),
you can display help from a modal dialog. But when the help controller
shows a modeless window that is part of the same program, as with
wxHtmlHelpController, you have to be careful because in general, you
cannot display a modeless window (such as a frame) from within a modal
dialog. By definition, a modal dialog won’t enable you to switch to
another arbitrary window except for another modal dialog."

It then goes on to say:

"If you use wxGTK, there is a workaround"

but doesn't clarify what this is.

Ultimately what I'm after is very much the behaviour you have under
Windows using CHMHelpController, the question is do I need to go through
the hoops the book talks about regarding using it's
wxHtmlHelpControllerEx to get there or am I missing something else here?

Rgs,


Jon.

--
== jon bird - software engineer
== <reply to address _may_ be invalid, real mail below>
== <reduce rsi, stop using the shift key>
== posted as: news 'at' onastick 'dot' clara.co.uk

--
Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

To unsubscribe, send email to [hidden email]
or visit http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: wxHtmlHelpController and modal dialogs

David Hart-4
Hi,

On Sunday, 2 April 2017 10:35:53 UTC+1, jon bird wrote:
I'm experiencing some odd behaviour with wxHtmlHelpController when
invoked from a modal dialog under GTK. If I activate the dialog, press
the Help button (which in turn calls DisplaySection), the help is
activated fine. It's modal (so has to be closed before the dialog that
activated is) but I can probably live with that. However after closing
the dialog, *none* of my top level menu items are then actioned and
neither can I close the application - I have to terminate it from a kill
command.

Synchrony! I noticed the same thing a few days ago, though it started in wx3.0.

See http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/17837

Regards,

David

--
Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.
 
To unsubscribe, send email to [hidden email]
or visit http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: wxHtmlHelpController and modal dialogs

Julian Smart
Unfortunately it's always been a problem showing help from a modal
dialog. A workaround is to show it in another modal dialog, using e.g.
wxHtmlModalHelp, as defined in wx/html/helpctrl.h. The only other way is
to invoke a separate help application, AFAIK.

Regards,

Julian

On 03/04/2017 22:29, David Hart wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sunday, 2 April 2017 10:35:53 UTC+1, jon bird wrote:
>
>     I'm experiencing some odd behaviour with wxHtmlHelpController when
>     invoked from a modal dialog under GTK. If I activate the dialog,
>     press
>     the Help button (which in turn calls DisplaySection), the help is
>     activated fine. It's modal (so has to be closed before the dialog
>     that
>     activated is) but I can probably live with that. However after
>     closing
>     the dialog, *none* of my top level menu items are then actioned and
>     neither can I close the application - I have to terminate it from
>     a kill
>     command.
>
>
> Synchrony! I noticed the same thing a few days ago, though it started
> in wx3.0.
>
> See http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/17837
>
> Regards,
>
> David
> --
> Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.
>
> To unsubscribe, send email to [hidden email]
> or visit http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users

--
Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

To unsubscribe, send email to [hidden email]
or visit http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: wxHtmlHelpController and modal dialogs

jon bird
That's helpful to know thanks, at least I understand what the expected
behaviour is now.

One more observation, when invoking help topics I sometimes use named
anchors in the html (passed as a string to DisplaySection eg.

config.htm#tlisters

this works on Windows (as it did before when calling HtmlHelp directly)
however using the wxHtmlHelpController class it doesn't pick up the
anchor, just jumps to the top of the document. Not a major thing but
maybe a suggestion for improvement in the future?

Rgs,


Jon.

In article <[hidden email]>, Julian Smart
<[hidden email]> writes

>Unfortunately it's always been a problem showing help from a modal
>dialog. A workaround is to show it in another modal dialog, using e.g.
>wxHtmlModalHelp, as defined in wx/html/helpctrl.h. The only other way
>is to invoke a separate help application, AFAIK.
>
>Regards,
>
>Julian
>
>On 03/04/2017 22:29, David Hart wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sunday, 2 April 2017 10:35:53 UTC+1, jon bird wrote:
>>
>>     I'm experiencing some odd behaviour with wxHtmlHelpController when
>>     invoked from a modal dialog under GTK. If I activate the dialog,
>>     press
>>     the Help button (which in turn calls DisplaySection), the help is
>>     activated fine. It's modal (so has to be closed before the dialog
>>     that
>>     activated is) but I can probably live with that. However after
>>     closing
>>     the dialog, *none* of my top level menu items are then actioned and
>>     neither can I close the application - I have to terminate it from
>>     a kill
>>     command.
>>
>>
>> Synchrony! I noticed the same thing a few days ago, though it started
>>in wx3.0.
>>
>> See http://trac.wxwidgets.org/ticket/17837
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David
>> --  Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before
>>posting.
>>
>> To unsubscribe, send email to [hidden email]
>> or visit http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users
>

--
== jon bird - software engineer
== <reply to address _may_ be invalid, real mail below>
== <reduce rsi, stop using the shift key>
== posted as: news 'at' onastick 'dot' clara.co.uk

--
Please read http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

To unsubscribe, send email to [hidden email]
or visit http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users
Loading...