wxStyledTextCtrl problem

arnholm
Hi, I am using wxWidgets 3.0.4 under Linux Kubuntu 18.04

I have been observing strange problems when editing in a wxStyledTextCtrl editor of my own application. The problem is extremely annoying, because sometimes the text I am typing is not appearing where the cursor is, but instead at the top left. At first I thought it was my keyboard so I replaced it. Then when the problem came back I tried the wxWidgets sample 'stc' and tried forcing the problem in the stctest application.

Indeed, I saw the same problem there, see image at https://postimg.cc/WFKb5dgH (because I am unsure whether attaching an image will work in this group). I could not screenshot it so had to take a phone image. The cursor is at the red text "typing 'vector' here", but the text I am typing appears at top left until I press the spacebar. This really makes it impossible to edit properly. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Thanks for any assistance.

Carsten Arnholm

Re: wxStyledTextCtrl problem

paulclinger
Hi Carsten,

> Indeed, I saw the same problem there, see image at https://postimg.cc/WFKb5dgH (because I am unsure whether attaching an image will work in this group). I could not screenshot it so had to take a phone image. The cursor is at the red text "typing 'vector' here", but the text I am typing appears at top left until I press the spacebar. This really makes it impossible to edit properly. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I'd try to investigate if this is a drawing or a buffer issue. In other words, if you try to get the content of the editor buffer, does it indeed start with "vector" or does it one draw it in that location, but the content of the buffer is the correct one? This may provide a clue on how to investigate it further.

Paul.

Indeed, I saw the same problem there, see image at <a href="https://postimg.cc/WFKb5dgH" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fpostimg.cc%2FWFKb5dgH\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGmRTAUFjT1Nv3iM3FQxRpXEy8vXg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fpostimg.cc%2FWFKb5dgH\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGmRTAUFjT1Nv3iM3FQxRpXEy8vXg&#39;;return true;">https://postimg.cc/WFKb5dgH (because I am unsure whether attaching an image will work in this group). I could not screenshot it so had to take a phone image. The cursor is at the red text "typing 'vector' here", but the text I am typing appears at top left until I press the spacebar. This really makes it impossible to edit properly. Any ideas on what might be the problem?

Thanks for any assistance.

Carsten Arnholm

Re: wxStyledTextCtrl problem

arnholm
Hi Paul & thanks for the suggestions!

It has been a frustrating experience, but I think I have finally figured it out. Perhaps isn't a wxwidgets problem per se, but it at least it affects editors using  wxStyledTextCtrl. I tried many things, and finally discovered "input modes" on linux, and started suspecting it could be related to that when "im-config -m" showed I had something called "uim". This turns out to be "universal input mode" that deals with asian languages etc. I don't know why I had it installed, but "sudo apt-get remove uim" solved the problem!