wxWidgets and VSCode

Tim Burgess-5
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has had any success configuring a VSCode c++ environment with wxWidgets. Visual Studio 2017 works really well for me on Windows, but Xcode is an accessibility nightmare. VSCode looks like it might be a better alternative and Microsoft’s senior program manager is reaching out for accessibility feedback, so that’s good.

Any and all information would be most gratefully received.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

Re: wxWidgets and VSCode

bubnikv
If I were you, I would go with CMake, and I would try

Please report back your experience :-)

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 2:37 PM Tim Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering if anybody has had any success configuring a VSCode c++ environment with wxWidgets. Visual Studio 2017 works really well for me on Windows, but Xcode is an accessibility nightmare. VSCode looks like it might be a better alternative and Microsoft’s senior program manager is reaching out for accessibility feedback, so that’s good.

Any and all information would be most gratefully received.

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess

Re: wxWidgets and VSCode

Pavel Kalugin

On 10/24/18 3:36 PM, Tim Burgess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anybody has had any success configuring a VSCode c++ environment with wxWidgets.

I use VSCode as my primary IDE on Linux, and CMake to build wxWidgets.
This is how I set it up for IntelliSense to work in VSCode:

1. Add "C_Cpp.default.includePath" to workspace settings. The value
should reference the directory from where <wx/setup.h> could be found.
For example:
  "C_Cpp.default.includePath":
["${workspaceRoot}/../wx-debug-gtk2/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-3.1"]

2. Reference this default in your active configuration in
.vscode/c_cpp_properties.json - just add "${default}" to includePath.
Here is my entire active configuration (I'm on an OpenSUSE):
     "configurations": [
         {
             "name": "suse-x64-gcc7",
             "includePath": [
                 "/usr/include/linux",
                 "/usr/include/c++/7/",
                 "/usr/include/c++/7/x86_64-suse-linux/",
                 "${workspaceRoot}/include",
                 "${default}"
             ],
             "defines": ["-D_GLIBCXX_USE_CXX11_ABI=1"],
             "intelliSenseMode": "gcc-x64",
             "browse": {
                 "path": [
                     "${workspaceRoot}"
                 ],
                 "limitSymbolsToIncludedHeaders": true,
                 "databaseFilename": ""
             },
             "compilerPath": "/usr/bin/g++-7",
             "cppStandard": "c++03"
         }
     ],

3. Also, you may want to add ".vscode" to your global .gitignore file.

--
Pavel

RE: wxWidgets and VSCode

Tim Burgess-5
Hi,

Thanks for both answers. I'm trying to avoid cmake, if I can and just get VSCode to call the same compiler/linker/debugger as XCode. I'm sure I can use Pavel's example as a template, but I'm confused on 2 points:

1 - Shouldn't any include path take the value of the wx-config --cxxflags output.

2 - Similarly, the --libs flag value would need to go somewhere for the linker, presumably?

Best wishes.

Tim Burgess