wxWidgets.org as a Foundation like liberoffice or others ... could it be possible ?

wxWidgets.org as a Foundation like liberoffice or others ... could it be possible ?

Rossano Paris-2
Hi at all.

Perhaps this message reaches you as an annoying message.
But I would like to propose a different matter to discuss.
I neither don't know whether this is the right place or not.
If it would be the wrong one or if it was already discussed, I beg your pardon in advance.

Anyway I hope it could be an interesting matter to discuss.

The point is simple:
Could wxWidgets.org project become a project like linuxmint.org, libreoffice.org or many others ?
A project where many people and even companies could send freely their donations.
A kind of foundation led and driven by the original founders and main maintainers.

Thank you very much for your attention
Rossano

RE: wxWidgets.org as a Foundation like liberoffice or others ... could it be possible ?

Steve Barnes

Hi Rossano,

wxWidgets.org could, potentially, be made into a Foundation but it would be necessary to identify a charitable purpose, set up a board, etc. if you read the foundation papers for those that you reference you will find that the ones that can receive donations of the sort you are talking about all had to meet this requirement.

Steve

Hi at all.

Perhaps this message reaches you as an annoying message.

But I would like to propose a different matter to discuss.

I neither don't know whether this is the right place or not.

If it would be the wrong one or if it was already discussed, I beg your pardon in advance.

Anyway I hope it could be an interesting matter to discuss.

The point is simple:

Could wxWidgets.org project become a project like linuxmint.org, libreoffice.org or many others ?

A project where many people and even companies could send freely their donations.

A kind of foundation led and driven by the original founders and main maintainers.

Thank you very much for your attention

Rossano

AW: wxWidgets.org as a Foundation like liberoffice or others ... could it be possible ?

Stefan Csomor
Hi

there once was a wxWidgets foundation, at the time Borland was using it for CBuilder++, Julian wrote a summary as a response to a similar question 5 years ago

"Yes, we did try that :-) We had Mitch Kapor and his people working on it
for a bit. However it foundered on the issue of assigning copyright,
which was thought to be a Good Idea at the time by people advising us
but probably wasn't. Borland was also involved, before dropping out
without letting us know, and a Borland employee who contacted me years
later thought that Borland just might have had an agenda re. wxWidgets
ownership that we didn't know about. Anyway, it was a big disaster that
OSAF spent some time undoing, and even had it been a success, there
would have been a lot of tedious paperwork and formality which I'm not
sure we can really sustain. It would be great to have one or more people
working on it but there's never been a hint of a suggestion (apart from
some funding from Borland 10 years ago) that this could ever be realistic."

Best,

Stefan

Re: wxWidgets.org as a Foundation like liberoffice or others ... could it be possible ?

Rossano Paris-2
Thank you Steve, Stefan for your answers.
Even though I would have expected more comments.
:)
I think a Foundation would be the natural evolution of wxWidgets project.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it could improve the project itself, a foundation could permit to pay developers and others.
Under a foundation the wxWidgets project would be more attractive even for companies because that kind of status could be an assurance of continuity.
As I see it, nowadays charitable purposes should be the minor issue; helping schools and education could be one of these.

Best regards
Rossano

Could wxWidgets.org project become a project like <a href="http://linuxmint.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Flinuxmint.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPKh2BdpTJN5pG5H8nbgKePCjcXg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Flinuxmint.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFPKh2BdpTJN5pG5H8nbgKePCjcXg&#39;;return true;">linuxmint.org, <a href="http://libreoffice.org" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Flibreoffice.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGmWY_-wO3CjIvqaiL5FkpUHMFndw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Flibreoffice.org\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGmWY_-wO3CjIvqaiL5FkpUHMFndw&#39;;return true;">libreoffice.org or many others ?

--
Please read <a href="http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wxwidgets.org%2Fsupport%2Fmlhowto.htm\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGeLI38cNrlq2cC-jNsMzVrvhdIVA&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.wxwidgets.org%2Fsupport%2Fmlhowto.htm\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGeLI38cNrlq2cC-jNsMzVrvhdIVA&#39;;return true;">http://www.wxwidgets.org/support/mlhowto.htm before posting.

or visit <a href="http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users&#39;;return true;">http://groups.google.com/group/wx-users

Re: wxWidgets.org as a Foundation like liberoffice or others ... could it be possible ?

Stephan van den Akker
Dear Rossano,

Very good of you to raise these questions. It is now 2018 and it has become clearer than ever how to successfully manage open source projects. E.g. the linux kernel community is larger than any commercial, closed source software project has ever been. From my own experience with The Document Foundation I can see the advantages of having a Foundation behind a project like wxWidgets.

Although it should be emphasized that the deeply personal commitment of devs and others is at least as important. Setting up a Foundation should primarily aim for strengthening and supporting the wxWidgets community, meaning: increasing funding, improving infrastructure and support, as well as attracting new participants that may take the project into new areas.

As others have said, at present the community around wxWidgets could be too small to sustain the extra overhead of a Foundation. Are there existing foundations that could serve wxWidgets?

Greetings,

Stephan van den Akker