wxWidgets virtual appliance

Julian Smart
I see that VMware offers a free Player app to run prebuilt virtual machines;
so here's an idea. To help Windows users evaluate and migrate to
Linux + wxWidgets, why not provide a virtual machine (appliance in
VMware's terminology)? We could have:

- wxWidgets source and lib binaries (or foolproof script to build
   the binaries for various configurations, to reduce the VM size);
- choice of dialog editor demo/freebies;
- IDE.

Then all a user needs to do is download Player + wxAppliance,
run the appliance, run the build script, and start playing with wxGTK,
wxMotif, and wxX11.

(This would need to be created with VMware 5. Note that if you're
already running VMware 4, Player can't be installed without
uninstalling 4.)

Maybe this would encourage more potential users who find the whole
Linux + dev tools + wxWidgets thing a bit overwhelming? They could
explore it from the comfort of their Windows environment, and all for free.

Julian

Julian Smart                           [hidden email]
28/5 Gillespie Crescent, Edinburgh,    http://www.anthemion.co.uk
Midlothian, U.K., EH10 4HU             +44 (0)131 229 5306
Writer's Cafe: power tools for writers http://www.writerscafe.co.uk
HelpBlocks:    HTML help authoring     http://www.helpblocks.com
DialogBlocks:  cross-platform dialogs  http://www.anthemion.co.uk/dialogblocks

RE: wxWidgets virtual appliance

Stefan Csomor
Hi

there are trial versions of some systems available, Windows 2003 or XP Embedded, but I guess we should be able to have a decent demo that allows for xcopy deployment and I don't think there are that many people interested in wx that don't have access to a windows machine ?

Best,

Stefan

Kevin Ollivier
Hi Julian,

On Mar 21, 2006, at 3:06 AM, Julian Smart wrote:

> I see that VMware offers a free Player app to run prebuilt virtual
> machines;
> so here's an idea. To help Windows users evaluate and migrate to
> Linux + wxWidgets, why not provide a virtual machine (appliance in
> VMware's terminology)? We could have:
>
> - wxWidgets source and lib binaries (or foolproof script to build
>   the binaries for various configurations, to reduce the VM size);
> - choice of dialog editor demo/freebies;
> - IDE.
>
> Then all a user needs to do is download Player + wxAppliance,
> run the appliance, run the build script, and start playing with wxGTK,
> wxMotif, and wxX11.
>
> (This would need to be created with VMware 5. Note that if you're
> already running VMware 4, Player can't be installed without
> uninstalling 4.)
>
> Maybe this would encourage more potential users who find the whole
> Linux + dev tools + wxWidgets thing a bit overwhelming? They could
> explore it from the comfort of their Windows environment, and all
> for free.

While I think this is a good idea in general, we'd have to maintain
it, and there are already a dearth of LiveCDs out there, and also you
can get free CDs for most distros as well. Also, VMWare actually has
community VMs, including FC4 and others, available for download from
their community site, so perhaps we can point people to that:

http://www.vmware.com/vmtn/appliances/community.html

 From a perspective of learning, if they're going to work with Linux,
IMHO it's better for the user to experience the configuration
themselves so that they can learn how it works and get comfortable
with it. In a sense, installing and configuring a distro is also a
learning experience about how Linux packaging systems work and how
Linux manages software. I think recommending IDEs and preparing some
sort of setup guide might be a good idea, though. This way they can
learn how things work while at the same time being guided towards
solutions rather than drowned in a sea of choices and options.

Thanks,

Kevin